To me, three things perfectly symbolize the 90’s as a decade: Friends, Shaquille O’Neal, and AOL’s “You’ve Got Mail” voice.
In a new book, former AOL CEO Steve Case shares the story behind that classic sound effect. Case’s book, The Third Wave: An Entrepreneur’s Vision of the Future, argues that disruptive entrepreneurs are about to upend industries from healthcare to transportation.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now