New York Sen. Chuck Schumer has called for an investigation into a new kind of gun that looks like a smartphone.
The gun, made by a company called Ideal Conceal and scheduled to debut in mid-2016. The company claims the 380-caliber double-barrel handgun can fold into the shape of a smartphone, the New York Daily News reports. Thousands of people have already pre-ordered the weapon, which costs $395.
“At first glance or even second glance it looks like an iPhone,” said Schumer, a longtime gun control advocate. “Take a closer look and you will see that it’s a real, deadly handgun.”
Schumer said the weapon’s ability to blend in suggests “It’s clearly being marketed for nefarious purposes,” asking, “Why would we want to make it easier for criminals or terrorists like those who attacked Paris and Brussels to wreak havoc?”
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time