An American student traveling abroad has been found dead in eastern Siberia, according to Russian officials.
Colin Madsen, 25, was found by rescuers about a mile from the village where he had disappeared in the Buryatia region, according to ABC. A statement released by the local branch of Russia’s Investigative Committee did not indicate foul play.
Russian police, aided by friends, have been searching for Madsen since his dissapearance. Madsen, a Jefferson City, Missouri native, was studying at a nearby university in the city of Irkutsk. He disappeared a week ago on Sunday morning during a hiking trip with friends in the Sayan mountains.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- Why Trump's Call to Protest Is Flopping
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement