If it seems like everyone has seen John Oliver’s segment about Donald Trump on Last Week Tonight, it turns out that’s not so far from the truth.
A record number of people watched Oliver urge people to “make Donald Drumpf again.” “Drumpf” refers the the Trump family’s ancestral name. The clip has racked up 23.3 Youtube views and 62 million views on Facebook for a total of 85 million video views, CNN reports.
“This is a record for any piece of HBO content,” said an HBO spokesperson. The roughly 20-minute segment also accrued 6 million television views, which HBO determines using live and DVR viewership, among other measures.
Oliver had tried to ignore Trump, he said during the clip, as he knew the Republican frontrunner loved the attention. But giving in to political reality paid off for Oliver. His second most popular segment is about FIFA, and barely touched the Drumpf record with 12.5 million views.
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023