I’m thinking of Garry as I write this. He would urge me to keep it simple. So here goes: There was a time before I met Garry, when I was watching It’s Garry Shandling’s Show, he looked straight into the camera and said, “O.K., they’re gonna play my theme song and I’m going to the bathroom. I’ll be right back.” I remember thinking, What the hell is that? Whatever it is, that’s what comedy really is. Garry was all about being alive and in the moment. He asked you to bring everything about your day into the work, to go beyond the laugh to reveal character and humanity. I once saw his script for The Larry Sanders Show–it looked like Coleridge’s marginalia. Garry got deeply involved in other people’s lives, for no other purpose than to help. He was a teacher–I can’t stress that enough. I am and will be forever grateful.
Tambor is the Emmy-winning star of Transparent. He appeared in Shandling’s The Larry Sanders Show for six seasons.
This appears in the April 11, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time