CANCER AND IMMUNOTHERAPY
Alice Park’s April 4 cover story on the growing promise of immunotherapy for treating cancer–and the challenges of its limited availability–“made me realize how fortunate I am,” wrote Barbara Jo Sieber of Bradenton, Fla., who is currently involved in a trial for such a treatment. But Roger Stone of Kirkland, Wash., underscored the point that enrolling in a clinical trial, while a way to obtain new therapies, can be heartbreaking too, as patients can be suddenly removed from a trial if they no longer fit the study parameters. “[Patients in a trial] are a thing, a statistic to the drug company and the study doctors,” he wrote. “I know there are doctors that do care … But this is wrong.”
Back in TIME
April 5, 1976
THE PORNO PLAGUE
This week’s cover story recalls its forebear of exactly 40 years ago. Read the whole issue at time.com/vault
Court rulings made it harder to get obscenity convictions in the U.S., spurring a boom in explicit media.
How would the “Age of Porn” change a once Puritan nation?
WHAT WE GOT RIGHT
Porn did, as we predicted, become commonplace.
WHAT WE GOT WRONG
But the desire to prevent the U.S. from turning into “the world portrayed in A Clockwork Orange” did not create a new vogue for censorship. Quite the opposite, in fact …
NOW ON TIME.COM
Actors Ethan Hawke and Tom Hiddleston recently sat down in TIME’s studio to discuss a new challenge they’ve both taken on: playing musical icons. As Chet Baker in Born to Be Blue and Hank Williams in I Saw the Light, respectively, Hawke and Hiddleston are tasked with doing justice to their characters as well as to the songs those musical luminaries made famous. In a new video, the two reveal the work that goes into elevating a performance from imitation to interpretation–and they sing some duets for good measure. Watch at time.com/music-biopics
Please recycle this magazine and remove inserts or samples before recycling
This appears in the April 11, 2016 issue of TIME.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy