The annual TIME 100 reader poll is typically dominated by current world leaders, and this year is no exception: President Obama, Aung San Suu Kyi, Pope Francis and Bernie Sanders—who currently has the most votes of all—are among the poll’s frontrunners.
But there’s one name that has little in common with the others in the top spots: Big Bang, a South Korean boy band that’s currently in third place with 2.2 percent of the vote (that’s more than Beyoncé and Taylor Swift combined). Although the group hasn’t had any stateside hits, they’re no newcomers: They’ve been around for 10 years and have played arenas across North America thanks to their large and fervent international fan base. Member G-Dragon has also broken out as a solo artist, collaborating with the likes of Missy Elliott, Diplo and Skrillex.
This is not the first time a K-pop star has taken readers’ hearts in the TIME 100 poll. Last year, CL, a member of the girl group 2NE1 and now also a solo artist in her own right, nearly beat out Russian president Vladimir Putin and trounced pop stars like Rihanna and Lady Gaga. This year, though, CL in 25th place on the poll, right between Jennifer Lawrence and Elon Musk.
The TIME 100 is comprised of world leaders, great minds in science and technology, outstanding figures in the arts and other icons of the moment. TIME’s editors ultimately choose the TIME 100, but we want to know what you think. Vote in the poll here, and see the results here.
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now