Sometimes when you’re overcome with the need to hug someone, you just have to go for it.
That may have been the reasoning of the child who ran down onto the court in the middle of Monday’s Knicks-Pelicans game to hug his idol, Carmelo Anthony. Anthony patted the kid on the head before a ref led him off the court.
As could be expected, Anthony was a little rattled by the mid-game ambush.
“I was shocked. I didn’t really know who was it until I actually looked over and saw that it was a kid … I think it was because he was a little kid, they just let him go,” he told the AP. “Definitely a security issue, though, for sure.
Ordinarily, people who walk onto the court during a game, at least in New York City, are subject to fines, but we guess the kid got off the hook for being so cute.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time