Opera-loving Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will take to the stage in July in a production of The Merchant of Venice, ABC News reported. Ginsburg’s acting talents will be put to a test in her cameo as a judge in the play’s trial the Venetian Jewish moneylender, Shylock.
Ginsburg has made multiple documentary and talk show appearances, and is by no means a Shakespeare novice. She recalled to Politico her many on-stage appearances at the Shakespeare Theatre, most notably as Dick the butcher in Henry VI, in which she recited the infamous line: “First thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers.”
Ginsburg’s love for theater has recently come into the spotlight after the death of her friend and fellow Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. Opera was one of the mutual interests they celebrated outside of the courtroom.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time