A teenager in Japan escaped Sunday after being held hostage by her kidnapper for two years, authorities said.
The girl, now 15 years old, ran from suspect Kabu Terauchi’s apartment in downtown Tokyo on Sunday after he forgot to lock the door behind him when he went out shopping, police said, according to the Associated Press. (Her name is being withheld because she is a minor.)
Terauchi was captured by investigators on Monday outside Tokyo, and police plan to formally arrest him for kidnapping. NBC reports that the girl told police she was always under close watch during her ordeal and usually locked inside the apartment.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time