Syrian government forces wrested control of the ancient city of Palmyra from ISIS on Sunday, following months of devastation at the hands of the militant group.
Watch the video above for glimpses of the damage ISIS wreaked on the Roman ruins and metropolitan areas within the town. ISIS seized Palmyra last May, sparking concerns that it would destroy the ancient sites that date back to over 2,000 years.
Since then, the group has damaged or destroyed many of the ruins, including the Temple of Bel and the Arch of Triumph.
Read More: See ISIS’s Destruction of the Ancient City Palmyra
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases