Here’s one shell of a story: Jonathan the Giant Tortoise — reputed to be the oldest known living land animal on Earth at an estimated age of 184 years — has finally had a bath.
The massive reptile is considered a “national treasure” on the tiny British island territory of St. Helena. He reportedly was a mere 50 years old when he was delivered as a gift to St. Helena by the governor of the Seychelles in the late 1800s.
Read this story from our partners at NBC News
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief