Here’s one shell of a story: Jonathan the Giant Tortoise — reputed to be the oldest known living land animal on Earth at an estimated age of 184 years — has finally had a bath.
The massive reptile is considered a “national treasure” on the tiny British island territory of St. Helena. He reportedly was a mere 50 years old when he was delivered as a gift to St. Helena by the governor of the Seychelles in the late 1800s.
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color