Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, in theaters March 25, marks the first big-screen face-off between the superheroes. But a closer look at ticket sales shows there’s already a winner: the Caped Crusader. The eight Batman theatrical releases brought in an average of $362 million, compared to the nearly $268 million average haul from the six Superman films.
The most successful Batman film ever is 2012’s The Dark Knight, starring Christian Bale as the Bat, with $646 million. The Man of Steel came closest behind in 1978, with Christopher Reeves’ Superman, raking in $499 million, adjusted for inflation. The only question that remains—beyond who will win Dawn of Justice‘s superhero showdown—is whether Will Arnett’s Lego Batman can keep up.
Hover over circles in the graph below to see details for each movie.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears