Game of Thrones is offering fans a behind-the-scenes look at exactly what goes into bringing White Walkers to life. The HBO drama’s latest featurette focuses on prosthetic designer Barrie Gower explaining the detailed and lengthy process of creating the unearthly look of Westeros’s biggest threat.
Gower walks viewers through his team’s operation, from designing the prosthetics to actually applying the makeup to actors. He also speaks about his favorite memory of working on the show to date — filming “Hardhome,” the eighth episode of season five. “It was very cold, wet, muddy, smoke, snow — we had it all going on,” he says. “We were covering [the actors] in loads of rubber each day. At times it felt like pandemonium and then you’d just look across and have a look at the monitor, and it was so cleverly choreographed and orchestrated. You couldn’t believe that what you were seeing on film was what was right next to you.”
The sixth season of Game of Thrones will premiere on April 24 on HBO.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer