Donald Trump will address prominent Jewish Americans during a speech Monday afternoon to the pro-Israel group AIPAC, courting the constituency at a time when his relationship with Jewish voters remains complicated.
Trump’s proposal to temporarily ban Muslims from entering the U.S. has made some Jewish leaders wary.
“As somebody who is Jewish, when you hear somebody in public life want to ban someone from entering America because of their religion, it’s unsettling,”Ari Fleischer, a former George W. Bush spokesman who sits on the board of the Republican Jewish Coalition, told TIME recently. “I don’t think he’s aware of how many people who have struggled against oppression, bigotry, who come from a different background, who hear a politician say keep any one group out, and it’s not too far a leap to say, well, does he want to keep any other groups out?”
Trump is scheduled to address the AIPAC conference, where Hillary Clinton and other presidential candidates are also speaking, at 5:45 p.m. E.T. Watch it live above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org