A drone nearly hit a passenger jet preparing to land in Los Angeles on Friday afternoon.
The Los Angeles Times reported that a Lufthansa A380-800 jet was 14 miles away from LAX Airport and traveling at 5,000ft when the drone flew 200 feet above the aircraft. The pilot was readying the aircraft to land when the incident occurred.
Aviation experts fear that drones—which are prohibited from flying higher than 400 feet—could cause a plane to lose an engine if they are sucked in. Local police are now searching for the owner of the drone.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Justin Worland at firstname.lastname@example.org