When it comes to parenting, sometimes it’s best just to wing it.
So what’s her biggest piece of advice for Meyers? Don’t listen to anyone’s advice.
“Everyone gives so much advice,” she said. “There are a lot of ‘experts’ out there, and as much as you think, ‘I’m going to follow what this person says, I’m going to follow what that person says, I’m going to read this book and have this birth plan’ – it’s not up to you dude.”
Unfortunately, there’s no how-to-guide on parenting, and as a mother herself (she shared three children with ex Ben Affleck, Garner, 43, said it’s best to just accept that there will be a few bumps in the road.)
“Let it go. Don’t worry about it,” she said. “You’re going to struggle. It’s going to suck just like for everyone else.”
“Just know in your head this is all going to go to hell in a hand basket,” she added while laughing.
And Meyers seemed more than willing to accept her advice and throw all the parenting books away.
“Okay, so based on what you told me, I can go back to my wife, who’s just been piling up stacks of books for me, and say, ‘This doesn’t matter,’ ” said Meyers.
But naturally, Garner warned against that.
“Don’t say that to her,” she urged. “Do not say that to her!”
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms