Economic impact includes not only sales of marijuana itself, but also any other dollars pumped into the economy in association with marijuana, from grow-lights to pipes, Yahoo reports. MBD assigned marijuana an economic multiplier of four, meaning for every dollar spent on weed, three more dollars are also added to the economy.
MBD’s prediction for the 2016 economic impact of marijuana was between $14 and $17 billion.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com