Westeros isn’t the only place torn by seemingly endless war. In the real world, the conflict in Syria has forced millions out of their homes, and in an effort to help resettle and provide relief for refugees, Game of Thrones cast members and HBO have partnered with the International Rescue Committee, a nonprofit organization that works to provide global humanitarian aid to refugees in Syria, Jordan, Turkey, Lebanon, Iraq, and more.
Syrian refugees in particular pose a difficult-to-solve crisis: About 4 million refugees have fled the region during the five (and counting) years of war, but only about 17,000 have found homes in other countries. To help more find safe haven and rebuild their lives, the cast and HBO encourage donations and visits to the IRC’s website, and to use the hashtag #RealmToTheRescue. “This is no fiction, no fantasy,” the cast explains in the video. “What would you do to protect your life, your family, your future? You can help.”
Watch the video above. Read more about the partnership here.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer