An American who is alleged to be a member of ISIS has been captured by the Kurdish security forces, a Kurdish News Service reports.
The man is identified by the Kurdish news service Rudaw as Muhammad Jamal Amin of Virginia with a Palestinian father and a Iraqi mother. The State Department was not immediately available to confirm.
The alleged ISIS member traveled to Syria via Turkey two months ago and then towards the Iraqi city of Mosul from there. Kurdish forces told the Kurdish news service that the American had mistakenly thought he was at the Turkish border when he wandered into Kurdish territory and was captured. CBS News has also reported his capture.
Amin also had cell phones, money, and ID cards on him when captured, which were photographed and broadcast by Rudaw.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time