Two bodies have been recovered and another was still missing Sunday after a tugboat crashed into a construction barge at the Tappan Zee Bridge in New York, officials said.
Divers pulled the body of 29-year-old Timothy Conklin, of Long Island, out of the Hudson River as they continue to search for another missing person, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said at a news conference.
The 84-foot tugboat sank Saturday after crashing into a stationary and secure barge at the base of the bridge while attempting to pass through the construction area. The tugboat, carrying about 5,000 gallons of diesel fuel, was still leaking oil into the river Sunday, officials said. “Sometimes it’s just a pure accident, and that’s what this occurs to be,” Cuomo said.
Crewman Paul Amon, 52, was also killed in the accident, according to the New York Daily News. Cuomo said Conklin’s family was “obviously still in shock” after learning about the tragedy. “You tend to hope against hope even when it’s improbable,” Cuomo said. “They were hoping there was a different outcome and unfortunately there wasn’t.”
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart