The allegations against Melodie Gliniewicz, 51, follow a slew of similar charges filed in January. The new charges are lesser in severity than the charges filed earlier this year and will not add to her jail time if she is convicted.
Gliniewicz is the widow of Fox Lake Police officer Joseph Gliniewicz, who allegedly faked his own murder in September to cover up the embezzlement scheme. Law enforcement officials allege that the couple took money from a youth charity connected to the police force to pay personal expenses.
Joe Gliniewicz’s death appears to have been an elaborate ruse in which the police officer pretended to have been killed by three suspects. An investigation later revealed that the gunshot wounds he suffered were self inflicted.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Justin Worland at firstname.lastname@example.org