Charges are being filed against former Brazilian President Lula da Silva amid a massive corruption investigation in the country, the BBC reports.
Lula and his wife are among sixteen people facing allegations of money laundering as part of a larger inquiry into the state oil company Petrobras. In the former President’s case, the case concerns a waterfront penthouse he purportedly bought at a high-class resort.
Lula vigorously denies that he has ever owned the apartment and says that the charges are part of a plot to politically discredit him. Civilians and political figures alike have also spoken out against the charges against the popular former leader.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time