When late night TV host John Oliver spent a 20-minute segment railing against GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump, he coined a new phrase: “Make Donald Drumpf Again.” Apparently the mantra stuck, as Oliver’s show Last Week Tonight has sold out of its custom-made hats sporting the phrase.
“Drumpf” refers to the ancestral name for Trump’s family, but Oliver used it on his show to undercut the brand of success that Trump has cultivated around his own moniker. The hat has sold 35,000 copies, according to HBO, which airs Last Week Tonight.
The Trump segment has been Oliver’s most successful ever, attracting more than 20 million views on YouTube. A Google Chrome extension that changes all occurrences of “Trump” to “Drumpf” on web pages has been downloaded more than 433,000 times.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science