Russian President Vladimir Putin took the time on Tuesday to celebrate women in an open letter marking International Women’s Day.
“Dear women, you possess a mysterious power: you keep up with everything juggle a myriad of tasks, and yet remain tender, unforgettable and full of charm,” Putin wrote. “You bring goodness and beauty, hope and light into this world. We are proud of you and we love you.”
The leader went on to hail women as the “true soul of Russia” in a speech. Many were quick to point out on social media that Putin has been responsible for jailing many women standing up for women’s rights and human rights in his country.
Read the full letter below:
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World