The first giant panda cubs born in Canada were given names on Monday.
The male will be called Jia Panpan, which means “Canadian hope”, while the female will be called Jia Yueyue, which means “Canadian joy.” The giant panda Er Shun gave birth to the twins on October 13, 2015.
Justin Trudeau, Canada’s prime minister, was there to help reveal the new names and cuddle with the pandas, rubbing it in for all of the people who will have to wait about another week to see them (March 12, to be exact).
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time