1. The world turns to the U.S. military when disaster strikes. Let’s be ready.
By Kedar Pavgi and Peter Kouretsos in Defense One
2. Could do-it-yourself medical testing save your life?
By Lori Miller Kase in Aeon
3. Here’s one thing African nations can do to spark their economies.
By Evans Wadongo in Quartz
4. A downside of America’s rising creative class? The end of retirement.
By Nico Lang in the Kernel
5. Students get grades at the end of the year. Why don’t textbooks?
By Thomas J. Kane at the Brookings Institution
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction