This is one win Donald Trump may not be crowing about.
A Muslim group in the U.K. named the Republican frontrunner the world’s worst Islamophobe on Saturday for his call to ban Muslims from entering the U.S.
His victory was announced during the ‘Islamophobia Awards’ in London, a satirical event held by the advocacy group Islamic Human Rights Organization (IHRC).
“It is bad enough that anyone can come out with such arrogant, unapologetic bigotry and hate speech but I think what is really frightening is that Donald Trump is supported by such a large number of voters in what is the most powerful nation in the world” IHRC’s Chairman Massoud Shadjareh said in an e-mail.
Trump’s rivals in the 2016 ‘International’ category included far-right Dutch politician Geert Wilders and the country of Tajikistan, which has instilled a campaign to eradicate conservative Islam. British Prime Minister David Cameron won in the U.K. category for his “comments about Muslim women needing to learn English and being ‘traditionally submissive’” the organisers wrote.
In a statement, the group said that the awards aim “to subvert Islamophobia through comedy and revue while simultaneously addressing a serious and significant issue in a creative manner.”
The IHRC was criticized for insensitivity in 2015 for giving French magazine Charlie Hebdo the international Islamophobe award in 2015, months after 12 members of the magazine’s staff were killed in a terrorist attack.
“I think people misunderstood the award that was given to Charlie Hebdo, it wasn’t anything to do with the act of terrorism in Paris” says Shadjareh. “The point is this: if Charlie Hebdo says they have the right with satire to make fun of anyone, then why can’t we have the same right?”
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time