The three-year-old sheep dog named “Stella” has been herding at the farm Napa Grass Farmer in Fairfield, Calif.
The canine’s owner John Costanzo told NBC Bay Area that its veterinarian thinks the puppies represent one of the largest litters ever — at least in the state or for its breed, the Maremma Sheepdog. A Neopolitan mastiff from the U.K. village of Manea in Cambridgeshire once set a Guinness World Record for largest litter from a dog by giving birth to 24 puppies.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms