A high school basketball team blew its chance at a Division III state championship title on Sunday by celebrating on the court without realizing that there was still time on the clock.
WPRI reports that Burrillville High School’s players thought they had defeated Chariho High School by intercepting a pass, so they started jumping on top of one another on the court. But there was some time left, so after the referees reset the clock, Chariho was able to make a pass to a player who made a shot at the rim, cinching a win by one point.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk