Five people were taken into custody and questioned late Monday in connection with the apparent racially motivated shooting at a Texas campaign office, police said.
Zena Stephens, who is African-American and a university police chief, is seeking the Democratic nomination to run for the role of sheriff in Jefferson County.
Stephens told NBC News that she was standing outside her campaign headquarters in Beaumont, Texas, when a white male in a white Jeep pulled up and shouted “f*** the n*****s.” Seconds later, a shot shattered the glass door of the building.
No one was hit or injured. There were…
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com