Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick reprised their iconic characters from The Producers for a special segment on Jimmy Kimmel’s annual post-Oscars show on Sunday night. In the trailer for Trumped, Lane and Broderick play Bialystock and Bloom, two political candidates who decide to pull one over on America by fundraising for a bad presidential candidate and then keeping all the money for themselves once he ruins his own campaign. “This candidate, he’s gotta be the worst candidate in history,” Bialystok says. “A real trainwreck, a schmuck, a putz, a grade-A world-class gold-plated nincompoop. Where would we ever find a buffoon like that?”
Suddenly, a commercial for Trump plays on TV, and the pair knows they’ve found the right man for the job. However, their plan starts to go awry when Trump’s approval ratings keep rising regardless of how hard they try to sabotage him. “Where did we go right?,” a flabbergasted Bialystock asks. “Did he question John McCain’s war heroism? Did he say we should forcibly kick out 11 million immigrants? Did he propose banning all 1 billion Muslims from entering the U.S.?…Did he say Heidi Klum was no longer a 10?”
“Just in time for the election, it’s a story that starts off funny and then gets really, really depressing,” a voiceover says.
Watch the full clip above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at firstname.lastname@example.org