The British comedian joined actress Olivia Wilde on stage, wearing the fictional character’s signature tinted sunglasses and red beanie hat. “I know what you was thinking when I walked on: ‘Here comes yet another token black presenter,’” he said. Baron Cohen is of European Jewish heritage but his character Ali G is a white Londoner who thinks he is black.
Cohen joked, saying there should be an Oscar for the “very hard-working little yellow people” before adding that he was talking about the beloved Minions. The revival of Ali G comes amid criticism of the all-white Oscar acting nominations.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com