Chris Rock posed a very important challenge to the audience at the Oscars: “I want you to reach into your millionaire pockets and buy some of my daughters’ Girl Scout cookies,” he said. Later in the show, he announced that he raised $65,243 selling Girl Scout cookies. But it’s not entirely clear if that number included the money he got from Vice President Joe Biden.
That’s right—Rock posted a video on Twitter of the Veep giving him a twenty dollar bill.
Biden introduced Lady Gaga, who performed “Til It Happens To You,” from the documentary The Hunting Ground. He encouraged viewers to take a pledge on ItsOnUs.org, “a pledge that says, ‘I will intervene in situations when consent has not or cannot be given.’” He continued, “We can change the culture so that no abused woman or man, like the survivors you’ll see tonight, have to ask themselves, ‘What did I do?’ They did nothing wrong.”
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.