Chris Rock posed a very important challenge to the audience at the Oscars: “I want you to reach into your millionaire pockets and buy some of my daughters’ Girl Scout cookies,” he said. Later in the show, he announced that he raised $65,243 selling Girl Scout cookies. But it’s not entirely clear if that number included the money he got from Vice President Joe Biden.
That’s right—Rock posted a video on Twitter of the Veep giving him a twenty dollar bill.
Biden introduced Lady Gaga, who performed “Til It Happens To You,” from the documentary The Hunting Ground. He encouraged viewers to take a pledge on ItsOnUs.org, “a pledge that says, ‘I will intervene in situations when consent has not or cannot be given.’” He continued, “We can change the culture so that no abused woman or man, like the survivors you’ll see tonight, have to ask themselves, ‘What did I do?’ They did nothing wrong.”
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive