Chris Rock posed a very important challenge to the audience at the Oscars: “I want you to reach into your millionaire pockets and buy some of my daughters’ Girl Scout cookies,” he said. Later in the show, he announced that he raised $65,243 selling Girl Scout cookies. But it’s not entirely clear if that number included the money he got from Vice President Joe Biden.
That’s right—Rock posted a video on Twitter of the Veep giving him a twenty dollar bill.
Biden introduced Lady Gaga, who performed “Til It Happens To You,” from the documentary The Hunting Ground. He encouraged viewers to take a pledge on ItsOnUs.org, “a pledge that says, ‘I will intervene in situations when consent has not or cannot be given.’” He continued, “We can change the culture so that no abused woman or man, like the survivors you’ll see tonight, have to ask themselves, ‘What did I do?’ They did nothing wrong.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com