“Donald Trump is America’s back mole,” said John Oliver on Last Week Tonight. “It may have seemed harmless a year ago, but now that it has gotten frighteningly bigger it is no longer wise to ignore it.”
Oliver claims to understand why Trump’s supporters like him, as Trump is unpredictable and entertaining and could be seen as a “protest candidate.” For Oliver, though, “Donald Trump can seem appealing until you take a closer look, much like a lunch buffet at a strip club — or the NFL.”
Oliver is in a unique position to critique Trump as the current Republican front runner tweeted that he had turned down an invitation to appear on the “very boring and low rated” show, Last Week Tonight, because it was a “waste of time and energy.” However, according to Oliver, no one on his staff has ever invited Trump to be on the show, because it’s not a talk show.
For Oliver, Trump’s statements show a pattern of dishonesty. “Donald Trump views the truth like [a] lemur views the Supreme Court vacancy,” said Oliver. That was only the beginning of Oliver’s point-by-point take down of the businessman turned potential President of the United Sates. Oliver urged voters to look behind the brand he has built and to the man.
To help facilitate that change in perception, Oliver pointed out that a few branches back in his family tree, Trump’s last name was actually Drumpf, a name Oliver finds much more apt. To help make Donald Drumpf again, Oliver purchased DonaldJDrumpf.com and started selling hats with the new slogan.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer