Correction appended, Feb. 29
An Ohio pastor was shot and killed in his office at a Dayton church on Sunday.
Witnesses said the suspected gunman is the pastor’s brother, who has been taken into custody, according to the Associated Press. The pastor was killed as a service in the church concluded, the AP reports.
There were more than 20 people inside the St. Peter’s Missionary Baptist Church when the violence erupted about 12:30 p.m. and sent congregants running, according to WDTN. The news station identified the pastor as 70-year-old William Schooler.
Police later identified the brother as Daniel Gregory Schooler, 69, according to WHIO.
Correction: The original version of this story misstated the location where the pastor was shot. The pastor was in his office at the St. Peter’s Missionary Baptist Church when he was killed.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time