One of the best ways to make realistic and long-lasting lifestyles changes is by eating a healthy breakfast every morning. Studies how that eating breakfast jump-starts your metabolism, so it’s an easy way to kick-start your efforts.
But when it comes to breakfasts, not all of them are created equal. In fact, some of them can actually derail your weight-loss efforts if you’re not careful. Instead follow these breakfast rules to help you slim down.
1. Eat right away
Studies have found that eating breakfast helps keep your metabolism revved, so be sure to eat within 30-60 minutes of waking to take advantage of your body’s full fat-burning potential. Eating first thing helps ensure that you don’t feel so starved later in the day that you end up making bad eating choices for lunch or dinner. But what if you’re not a breakfast person? If the thought of eating something that early in the morning turns your stomach, try sipping your breakfast with this Wake-Up Smoothie.
Health.com: The Best Foods to Eat for Breakfast
2. Load up on protein
A breakfast high in protein—think eggs and Greek yogurt—can ward off hunger pangs, helping you eat less and ultimately lose weight. One study found that women who ate egg breakfasts lost twice as much weight as women who started their days with bagels. The protein in eggs increases satiety and decreases hunger, which helps you eat fewer calories throughout the day. High-protein options are also a great choice for feeling full and energized all day long since they digest more slowly than other breakfasts.
Health.com: 14 Ways to Boost Your Metabolism Instantly
Health.com: 25 Ways to Cut 500 Calories a Day
3. Add a banana
Eating a breakfast that’s high in Resistant Starch (RS) can help you stay full and help you burn more calories since it prompts your body to use fat for energy. RS is found in foods like bananas and oats, so try this Banana Nut Oatmeal for a seriously satisfying and delicious breakfast!
Read Tina’s daily food and fitness blog, Carrots ‘N’ Cake.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate