Tony Burton, who starred as Tony “Duke” Evers in Rocky, has died. He was 78.
Burton’s co-star Carl Weathers confirmed the news in a tweet on Thursday.
“E_Woodyard @TheSlyStallone Sad news. RIP Tony Burton. His intensity and talent helped make the Rocky movies successful. #BePeace,” Weathers wrote on Twitter.
According to MLIve, Burton’s younger sister Loretta Kelley also confirmed the news and said that the actor had intermittently spent time in the hospital over the last year, but was never given an official diagnosis.
Before going into acting, Burton reportedly won two Flint Golden Gloves light heavyweight titles, before doing a short stint as a professional boxer.
Following news of his death fans took to Twitter expressing their sorrow.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com