Marco Rubio called for a fact-check during the Republican presidential debate on Thursday — and viewers immediately went to Google to do exactly that.
Rubio and front-runner Donald Trump had a heated exchange over immigration policy, particularly how each would handle the border. Trump defended his plan to build a wall along the Mexican border, when Rubio quipped that Trump would use illegal labor to build it.
“It’s a fact,” Rubio said. “Again, go online and Google it. Donald Trump, Polish workers. You’ll see it.”
Rubio was referencing a 1990 New York Times article that reported Trump used some 200 undocumented immigrants in construction of his infamous Trump Tower.
Searches of Donald Trump and Polish workers went up some 300%, according to Google Trends.
Rubio and Trump butted heads at Thursday’s debate, as the Florida Senator seeks to become the establishment alternative to Trump.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears