Marco Rubio called for a fact-check during the Republican presidential debate on Thursday — and viewers immediately went to Google to do exactly that.
Rubio and front-runner Donald Trump had a heated exchange over immigration policy, particularly how each would handle the border. Trump defended his plan to build a wall along the Mexican border, when Rubio quipped that Trump would use illegal labor to build it.
“It’s a fact,” Rubio said. “Again, go online and Google it. Donald Trump, Polish workers. You’ll see it.”
Rubio was referencing a 1990 New York Times article that reported Trump used some 200 undocumented immigrants in construction of his infamous Trump Tower.
Searches of Donald Trump and Polish workers went up some 300%, according to Google Trends.
Rubio and Trump butted heads at Thursday’s debate, as the Florida Senator seeks to become the establishment alternative to Trump.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- How a Government Shutdown Could Affect You
- The Threat to Louisiana's Drinking Water
- Colleges Get Creative to Boost Mental Health
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time