A Canadian man who was caught trying to smuggle 38 turtles into the country in 2014 has been banned from owning them for 10 years.
Dong Yan of Windsor, Ontario, carried the turtles in plastic bags taped to his legs and tried to enter Canada through the Niagara border crossing, Reuters reported.
He was convicted on Feb. 17 and given two years of probation, a fine of about $2,600 and 50 hours of community service in addition to the ban. He was also ordered to write a letter about the experience.
- How the Anti-Vax Movement Is Taking Over the Right
- What Happens Next in Ukraine Could Change Europe Forever
- There's So Much More To Say About Bill Cosby
- Death Doulas Used to Be Rare. The COVID-19 Pandemic Changed That
- What It Feels Like to Be a Muslim Woman Auctioned Online by India's Right Wing
- America's First Openly Trans City Council President Wants to Heal Minneapolis
- The World's Farmers Need to Prepare for Serious Cash Crop Disruption