Stephen Colbert has made no secret of his Catholic faith since taking over The Late Show, openly discussing it with guests like Joe Biden. However, the demands of the show keep him away from certain time-consuming Catholic activities, such as confession and explaining saints to his friends (“They’re kind of like God’s X-Men,” as Colbert puts it). However, Colbert has found an entertaining alternative: he now goes through confession on the air, or as he calls it, “a colon cleanse for your soul.”
Highlights from the latest iteration of “Stephen Colbert’s Midnight Confessions” include the host apologizing for test-driving a car just to use the dealership’s bathroom, applauding at random intervals in jazz clubs, and not getting rid of iPhone apps he doesn’t understand. But he saved the wildest confession for last.
“This one’s shocking to even me,” Colbert said. “I don’t even know how to say it, but I think it’s possible Donald Trump won’t be the worst president in history. We’ve had some bad ones.”
He concludes by asking the audience for forgiveness, and they grant it. Watch the full video above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org