Stephen Colbert has made no secret of his Catholic faith since taking over The Late Show, openly discussing it with guests like Joe Biden. However, the demands of the show keep him away from certain time-consuming Catholic activities, such as confession and explaining saints to his friends (“They’re kind of like God’s X-Men,” as Colbert puts it). However, Colbert has found an entertaining alternative: he now goes through confession on the air, or as he calls it, “a colon cleanse for your soul.”
Highlights from the latest iteration of “Stephen Colbert’s Midnight Confessions” include the host apologizing for test-driving a car just to use the dealership’s bathroom, applauding at random intervals in jazz clubs, and not getting rid of iPhone apps he doesn’t understand. But he saved the wildest confession for last.
“This one’s shocking to even me,” Colbert said. “I don’t even know how to say it, but I think it’s possible Donald Trump won’t be the worst president in history. We’ve had some bad ones.”
He concludes by asking the audience for forgiveness, and they grant it. Watch the full video above.
This article originally appeared on EW.com
- What Wildfire Smoke Does to the Human Body
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- How Past Lives Combines Memoir and Artistry
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk