Stephen Colbert has made no secret of his Catholic faith since taking over The Late Show, openly discussing it with guests like Joe Biden. However, the demands of the show keep him away from certain time-consuming Catholic activities, such as confession and explaining saints to his friends (“They’re kind of like God’s X-Men,” as Colbert puts it). However, Colbert has found an entertaining alternative: he now goes through confession on the air, or as he calls it, “a colon cleanse for your soul.”
Highlights from the latest iteration of “Stephen Colbert’s Midnight Confessions” include the host apologizing for test-driving a car just to use the dealership’s bathroom, applauding at random intervals in jazz clubs, and not getting rid of iPhone apps he doesn’t understand. But he saved the wildest confession for last.
“This one’s shocking to even me,” Colbert said. “I don’t even know how to say it, but I think it’s possible Donald Trump won’t be the worst president in history. We’ve had some bad ones.”
He concludes by asking the audience for forgiveness, and they grant it. Watch the full video above.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating