By Connor Mannion / NBC News
February 24, 2016

A Kentucky man was hospitalized Tuesday with second-degree burns after the battery in his electronic cigarette exploded in his pants pocket.

Employees at the Shell gas station in Owensboro, Kentucky, where the bizarre incident took place, were shocked to see Josh Hamilton’s pants suddenly burst into flames.

“I was shocked. I asked, ‘You have a bomb in your pocket?’ because I couldn’t believe it,” Manoj Kumar, an employee at the gas station, told NBC affiliate WFIE.

Surveillance video shows Hamilton running outside and struggling to remove his pants before the fire is extinguished by another employee. He was later…

Read the rest of this story from our partners at NBC News

Contact us at editors@time.com.

Read More From TIME

EDIT POST