While millions will tune in to the 88th Academy Awards on Sunday night, many will also be watching the red carpet beforehand, looking for the eye-catching Oscars eveningwear that could inspire fashion’s next big trend.
In 2012, that dress was the white Tom Ford one-shoulder gown with matching cape donned by Gwyneth Paltrow, says fashion designer Misha Nonoo.
“It not only set off a trend,” Nonoo says, “but it just sparked a frenzy for this idea of clean, minimal, pure design.”
Nonoo, fashion designer Roy Luwolt and InStyle magazine fashion news editor Eric Wilson spoke to TIME about three of the most iconic Oscars looks.
Watch the video above to find out more about their top picks.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time