While millions will tune in to the 88th Academy Awards on Sunday night, many will also be watching the red carpet beforehand, looking for the eye-catching Oscars eveningwear that could inspire fashion’s next big trend.
In 2012, that dress was the white Tom Ford one-shoulder gown with matching cape donned by Gwyneth Paltrow, says fashion designer Misha Nonoo.
“It not only set off a trend,” Nonoo says, “but it just sparked a frenzy for this idea of clean, minimal, pure design.”
Nonoo, fashion designer Roy Luwolt and InStyle magazine fashion news editor Eric Wilson spoke to TIME about three of the most iconic Oscars looks.
Watch the video above to find out more about their top picks.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List