Reddit user McYay and her now fiancé were spending the day at Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada in Toronto when they decided to check out the “Ray Bay,” a.k.a. the stingray exhibit. At the end of the show, the couple was chosen to participate in an activity that was — unbeknownst to McYay — all part of an elaborate proposal plot.
“The host asked for 2 volunteers to play a game and they picked us to go up,” she wrote. “The game is for him to try describing a stingray and me try to guess what type…The hosts asks me for my answer and I blurt out the name of the only stingray from the show I can remember which is a Roughtail stingray. Host lady says I can turn around and see for myself and tadaaaa.”
The Redditor turned around to see a sign that read, “Will you marry me?,” before her boyfriend got down on one knee and popped the question. However, one onlooker was determined to be a permanent fixture in the couple’s memories from the romantic day. An attention-hungry stingray managed to photobomb every single one of the proposal shots. Luckily, McYay thought the pictures were hilarious, explaining that she spent “the next 10 minutes crying and laughing at the same time,” after seeing them.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time