Hillary Clinton picked up a key endorsement Friday from South Carolina Rep. Jim Clyburn, the highest-ranking black representative in Congress.
“I learned a long time ago that Hillary Clinton is a fighter and that’s what we need in our next president,” Clyburn told a crowd at Allen University in Columbia, S.C. “I want to do everything I can to help Hillary Clinton crack the ultimate glass ceiling.”
The key endorsement comes just a little more than a week before South Carolina voters head to the polls for the Democratic primary, and could sway black voters, a crucial demographic for both Clinton and Bernie Sanders. After Clinton barely won Iowa and Sanders won a landslide in a mostly white New Hampshire, both candidates are aiming to prove they can win minority votes in Nevada and South Carolina.
Rep. Clyburn said that in his 24 years in Congress, he’s worked with both Clinton and Sanders, and have had “pleasant and enjoyable” experiences working with both. But his mind is made up.
“I believe that the future of the Democratic Party and the United States of America will be best served with the experiences and know-how of Hillary Clinton.”
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time