February 19, 2016 4:10 PM EST

A lesson learned on a school field trip ended up saving a 5-year-old girl and her blind grandmother from a house fire.

Cloe Woods, a Pre-K student in Kenner, Louisiana, went with her class to the Kenner Fire Department in October,according to WLLTV – and what she gleaned was truly life-saving.

“They talked to the kids, saying if there was a fire you need to get out of the house,” her teacher, Brittany Gaillot, told the news outlet.

Apparently, that knowledge stuck.

Early Wednesday morning, the stove in their home caught fire while Woods’ mother was bringing her older children to their carpool stop nearby.

Remembering her lesson, Woods immediately jumped out of bed and ran to her grandmother.

“She told my mom to hold her shoulder and that they had to get out of the house,” Arceneaux told WLLTV.

Her grandmother wanted to put her shoes on before leaving the house, but little Cloe told her no, that they had to get out, according to a GoFundMe account set up by her school.

Once they were safely out of the house with their dog, she ran around telling her neighbors to call 911, and continued to try and lend a hand.

“I wanted water, to pour on it,” Wood told the news station.

Kenner Fire Department Chief John Hellmers told WLLTV that the blaze could have easily turned tragic.

“She saved her grandmothers’ life and saved her own life,” he said.

This article originally appeared on People.com

Contact us at letters@time.com.

Read More From TIME

Related Stories