A viral video has captured the moment when a man in New York City realizes he has been playing a game of chess with an International Grandmaster.
In a clip shot in Washington Square Park, the man not wearing a hat is Maurice Ashley, the first African-American International Grandmaster who will be inducted into the U.S. Chess Hall of Fame in April. The footage starts with Ashley’s opponent shouting, “You don’t even look at the board!” and ends when him shouting “cut” repeatedly at the moment of defeat and his realization that he was playing someone who definitely knew what he was doing and wouldn’t tolerate any tricks.
The scene, filmed for the show The Tim Ferriss Experiment, is below, and the full episode can be viewed here.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now