Indonesian officials have banned Tumblr from the country because of its pornographic content. The shutdown came as the government shut down almost 500 sites in total.
An official in Indonesia’s Information Ministry said the site was shut down without informing the Yahoo-owned company first, the BBC reports. Other websites that have been blocked in the country due to their content include Vimeo and Netflix.
In some cases, such as Twitter, officials as a company to enact a special filter that screens pornographic content rather than banning the site outright. The BBC has not yet received comment from Tumblr.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org