Indonesian officials have banned Tumblr from the country because of its pornographic content. The shutdown came as the government shut down almost 500 sites in total.
An official in Indonesia’s Information Ministry said the site was shut down without informing the Yahoo-owned company first, the BBC reports. Other websites that have been blocked in the country due to their content include Vimeo and Netflix.
In some cases, such as Twitter, officials as a company to enact a special filter that screens pornographic content rather than banning the site outright. The BBC has not yet received comment from Tumblr.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve