The audience in South Carolina did not respond kindly to the front-runner’s attacks on Jeb Bush and the Bush family, with the crowd responding with several rounds of boos during the night.
“This is a man who insults his way to the nomination,” Bush said.
Trump attempted to blame the reaction on “lobbyists pulling for Bush, but the audience cut him off. “Jeb is so wrong. Jeb is absolutely self— just so you understand, you know what that is? That’s Jeb’s special interest and lobbyist talking.”
The booing was so noticeable that searches of “why are people booing?” spiked 1400% during the debate, according to Google.
South Carolina, site of the CBS News debate, will host its Republican primary Feb. 20 and Trump is in the lead there, with a polling average of 35%, according to RealClearPolitics.
Watch a clip of Trump getting booed above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org