The U.S. Marshal’s Service confirmed Saturday that Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, a Reagan appointee, died at age 79. Known for his colorful dissents and sharp sense of humor, Scalia served on the nation’s highest court for 34 years.
As news broke that the court’s conservative mainstay had passed away, politicians across the U.S. released tweets and statements of condolences.
White House Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz
Chief Justice John Roberts:
Former President George W. Bush
Sen. Bernie Sanders, Vermont
Sen. Harry Reid, Nevada
Sen. Marco Rubio, Florida
Sen. Rand Paul, Kentucky
Sen. Ted Cruz, Texas
Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York
Sen. Dick Durbin
Gov. Matt Bevin
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science