The U.S. Marshal’s Service confirmed Saturday that Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, a Reagan appointee, died at age 79. Known for his colorful dissents and sharp sense of humor, Scalia served on the nation’s highest court for 34 years.
As news broke that the court’s conservative mainstay had passed away, politicians across the U.S. released tweets and statements of condolences.
White House Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz
Chief Justice John Roberts:
Former President George W. Bush
Sen. Bernie Sanders, Vermont
Sen. Harry Reid, Nevada
Sen. Marco Rubio, Florida
Sen. Rand Paul, Kentucky
Sen. Ted Cruz, Texas
Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York
Sen. Dick Durbin
Gov. Matt Bevin
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving